Saturday, February 12, 2011

C4 Photosynthesis

In Chapter 7 one of the most important things that was stressed on in class was the light reaction and the Calvin cycle reaction in the process of photosynthesis. Moving on in the chapter I discovered that there were even more types of photosynthesis. In a C4 leaf the bundle sheath cells as well as the mesophyll cells contain chloroplasts. Unlike the C3, the mesophyll cells ore arranged concentrically around the bundle sheath cells. When I look at the picture of the C4 plant it is pretty interesting in the way that it is shaped like , which is a like a flower. From the picture that is shown it looks like the xylem and the phloem are sitting in the middle of it is surrounded by the vein then the bundle sheath cell. Now what it is does is use the enzyme PEP carbxylase to fix CO2 to PEP and the result is a C4 molecule called oxaloacetate. Now to put this more clearly, the C4 plants will form a C4 molecule in mesophyll cells right before releasing CO2 to the Calvin Cycle. This means that all of this must enter in the light reaction before reaching the Calvin Cycle . It is funny how this one thing, called cholorplast, does so much within its tiny parts that can not even be seen unless I see a picture or through a microscope. This factory, as I compare them to is so unique in itself that I can never wrap my mind around it . I actually desire to learn more about it in itself but I do know that I will never understand the full length of Gods creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment